Friday, May 22, 2009

Run Diane Run - EE5K Update

When someone mentions running, I immediately conjure up images of Forrest Gump (hence, the title of this post) and Maniac McGee. Forrest ran so long his leg braces popped off, and Maniac's shoes wore down until he was left running barefoot!!

I know - FICTIONAL CHARACTERS. But for some reason I feel I need to measure up, and sadly I fall short - waaaaaaay short.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I know several women who run for fun and CLAIM that running is as good as Prosaic. I've never taken Prosaic, but after running for a few weeks I don't think I want to.

Whining over! So, a few weeks ago I started this program called "From Couch Potato to 5K in 10 Weeks". It's not written by a doctor; there are several versions of it in cyberspace; I didn't check out the credentials of the trainer who came up with the program...but still, I decided this would be the best program for me.

So the first week starts out with a 5 minute walk, then you alternate running for 60 sec. & walking 90 sec for 6 reps. Not too bad.

Week 2 is similar, but you run 90 & walk 60. Quite a bit harder. In fact, I was contemplating repeating week 2 - then it rained...and life got more chaotic than normal...and running was the first to go -- SURPRISE.

So, after a week hiatus, I'm back. I'm starting over. HELP. Remember how I said week 1 wasn't bad? I lied. The first 2 or 3 running/walking reps aren't bad. Then my legs turn to cement...the clock slows down when I run and moves at hyper speed while I walk...when I tell myself I need to run to a corner or a light post, I feel like I'm in the Shining riding my Big Wheel down a hallway where the door gets further & further away...

But I'm sticking to it. Guess you have to run more than a total of 6 minutes to get that euphoric "runner's high". If anyone has any tips - bring 'em on. If there are any non-runners out there - please tell me you've had similar experiences so I don't feel quite so pathetic.

17 weeks from now I want to be a running convert!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Way to go Diane, I definitely can see running in your future, how exciting! For the first few weeks it's going to suck, there's no getting around that, but once you get past that wall and can run about a mile without stopping it will start getting much easier. I remember the first time I went running after madalyn was born I couldn't run more than a block, I felt so discouraged. It took me a good six months to get to where I could run as well as I could before I got pregnant, but I was so glad I stuck with it. That runners high is an awesome feeling, and once you get there you'll never feel the same about running again. Good luck with your training!

Karen said...

I hear you Diane! I actually looked at that program too (note I said looked...I haven't done it yet).

Jo Y said...

My advise Diane is to walk with me LOL Sorry that probably didn't help, I am going to walk fast though so that's OK right?

Such The Spot said...

Way to go girl.

If it's any consolation, I can tell you that it's much easier to run once you get there. Something about having all those people around helped me to step up my pace last year. I went in fully expecting to walk the whole thing but as we started walking I just felt like I could do more. That, and the cameras following us around did wonders for my running. Imagine that. :)