Friday, April 17, 2009

Ahhh Paradise!!


While some people may prefer paradise to be a place untouched by humans, rather than an outcropping of resorts on a sandy shore, I assure you Cable Beach in the Bahamas is close enough for me. It's warm, sunny with a light breeze, the people are friendly, and I'm writing this while enjoying an ocean view and sand between my toes. After this past winter in New England, I'd say "paradise" is exactly where I am right now.

Fred is down here attending the annual Bahamas Weather Conference. It's a chance to listen to all the big names in meteorology discuss the upcoming hurricane season. Me? I'm happily along for the ride.

The Bahamas Department of Tourism hosts this event each year, and they pull out all the stops! We have been treated to Bahamian hospitality at its best. We've dined at some of Nassau's finest restaurants, experienced some cultural events, and enjoyed the beautiful (and did I mention warm?) beaches. We're staying at the Sheraton, Cable Beach. It's a gorgeous resort, and definitely NOT overcrowded. There are children here, and while I think it would be a nice place to bring my children, it doesn't have that crazy, theme park atmosphere that I think we'll find when we head over to Atlantis on Saturday. I'm pre-judging, and I will be sure to give a fairer assesment/comparison after I've experience Paradise Island.

During the opening cocktail reception, we were treated to a Junkanoo parade.

Today, while Fred spent the morning listening to speakers, I strolled Cable Beach. I don't know if people sleep late on vacation, if everyone visiting the Bahamas stays at Atlantis, or if the economy is so terrible that no one is traveling here -- the beach was pretty desolate. During my two hour jaunt, I ran into a handful of people: a local woman cleaning the beach, a poacher killing conch and collecting the shells, and a couple of people running.

I also saw several huge starfish - not the type you have to search tide pools to find - HUGE starfish just lying in the water, which is crystal clear and a beautiful hue of turquoise. Of course I had no camera! Maybe tomorrow, although Fred didn't seem that impressed -- like he sees starfish every day.

Now, I'm going to sit back, relax and do NOTHING...like I said, PARADISE!!!

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Umm...yeah go ahead and rub it in more...we're still freezing over here with this stinkin' wind!! ;) Can you at least try to send some warm thoughts our way, don't hold back or anything! giggle...

ChristinaS said...

Oh Wow! How great for you! Enjoy every bit that you can... Soak it up and remember us back here. Will be dreaming that we are there with you too... have a blast!

Jo Y said...

Sounds idylic Diane, enjoy!!!

Sasha said...

sounds so relaxing and fun! Enjoy yourself!!!!!