Friday, March 27, 2009

Yeti or not...

That's the name of my Expedition Everest Challenge Team. What's that, you ask? Expedition Everest Challenge is a 5K race (that's roughly 3 miles) through Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World, followed by an obstacle course and a scavenger hunt.

Newsflash...I love Disney World! (I love Disneyland too, but it's clear across the country.) I would go to just about any length if it meant I could vacation there...including doing something I dread, like run. Plus, a lot of Mom's Panelists are attending this event, so it's a reunion of sorts.

I have friends who run for fun. In fact, one friend trains for marathons and gets up to run 20 miles in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT so she can be home for her kids during the day! While not everyone I know is so enthusiastic about running, most people can probably run 3 miles without significant training. I'm not most people. Sadly, I can't run 3 yards without feeling the need to sit and rest -- at least not yet. But the ability to run long distances is something I've always envied in others. When I lived in Colorado, I always wanted to run the Bolder Boulder (a 10K) just not enough to get off my rear end and do something about it - until now.

So we've purchased a used jogging stroller, and the weather is starting to warm up. Time to train. In the meantime, I've been doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred DVD, and it's been killing me - endurance is not my thing. We went out for a family walk the other day, and my husband told me I could jog home if I wanted. I think I ran a total of 300 yards -- guess I've got a bit of work ahead of me. I'll keep you posted.

This could be the beginning of something great. 5K in September, then who knows? Maybe I'll throw in a few 10Ks in, sprinkle a half marathon, and top it all off with Boston Marathon. Miracles can happen, right?!

5 comments:

Genevieve said...

Miracles do happen. I used to hate running, then I decided to run a little. I ran a couple 5ks, a couple 5 milers, a few 10ks and then for some crazy reason I decided to do a marathon. It really is addicting!! Good luck with the training. I actually need to get out there again as well. This baby weight isn't going to disappear on its own.

Briana Ward said...

You go Diane, I can wait to read you post after you cross the finish line!!! We will be cheering you on from the middle of the pacific :)

Jo Y said...

You can do it Diane, can't wait to meet you again :)

ChristinaS said...

I think you will do well. Just know that we are all rooting for you. I never could get up the umph to jog or run. I lost twenty five lbs by just power walking. I think I'll stick to that.. SO think of me when you run....I'll be cheering for you here in Coventry also.. Keep us posted on your steps in getting there.

Unknown said...

I love your team name!

Having the EE waiting for me after the 5K is pretty good motivation! And, of course, seeing all my Moms Panelist BFFs!