Thursday, June 25, 2009

Inspiration?

What do these songs have in common - Baby Got Back...a 5 minute techno version of One Night in Bangkok...Gone by M. Gentry...Don't Stop Believin...Rag Doll...I Want a New Drug?

Sadly, they are all the songs that I chose to run to today. I thought using the shuffle feature on my iPod would mix things up a bit and make it more interesting. It did, I guess - but mixed in with these musical gems was Christmas music I've been too lazy to take off, James Blunt, David Lanz, music from Charlie & the Chocolate Factory that I choreographed last summer...you get the idea. The songs listed above were the ones I could tolerate.

Oddly enough, they speak volumes:
  • Baby Got Back - yes she does, and I'm trying like crazy to get rid of it. Unlike Sir Mix-a-Lot - I'm not a fan of big butts.
  • One Night in Bangkok - this was a song I chose for my upper level jazz class to perform in the recital. Did it turn out awesome? Yes, but the song is over 5 minutes of non-stop techno music. It gets me moving and drives me insane - much like running.
  • Gone - the line, "She ain't never comin' back" - that's exactly how I feel about halfway through my run when I start to lose any momentum I might have and my route takes an uphill turn, literally.
  • Don't Stop Believin' - my mantra. I will be able to run 5k someday - hopefully by September when I actually have to do it.
  • Rag Doll - I got nothin' for this one. I guess that's a good thing considering the lyrics. It was just the first upbeat song after about 10 that I had to skip over because they just weren't doing it for me.
  • I Want a New Drug - all you runners out there - I still think Prozac might be the way to go!
Summary - while the shuffle option provides some interesting results, I think I need to make a running mix - any suggestions?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Diane here are some of my favorites (they might not be the coolest songs out there but I think they're fun to run to).

Too Little Too Late by Barenaked Ladies
The Distance by Cake
What a feelin (the flashdance song) by Irene Cara
The Middle by Jimmy EatWorld
Who Wouldn’t want to be Me by Keith Urban
Countyline by Sugarland
Bust a Move by Young MC
St. Elmos Fire by John Parr

Hope this helps. If you find some other good songs let me know, I'm always getting bored of my music (although I don't think I could handle One night in Bangkok, lol).

Fred Campagna said...

Stronger - Kanye West
You know I could name tons more, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

Heather - Hopelessly Flawed said...

I like 80s rock on my mix - def leppard, guns n roses, bon jovi. gets me moving! :)